Interior design is an art and a science that involves creating beautiful and functional spaces that reflect your personality and lifestyle. Interior design can be challenging and overwhelming, especially when it comes to choosing materials for your space. How do you know what materials go well together? How do you balance different elements and create harmony? How do you avoid making your space look bland or busy?
Not difficult to use the 70-20-10 rule
Implementing the 70-20-10 Rule in a bedroom is incredibly effortless, bringing an element of ease and simplicity to the design process.
One of the easiest and most effective ways to solve these dilemmas is to use the 70-20-10 rule. The 70-20-10 rule is a rule that helps you create a layered and textured look for your space. It states that you should use three different types of materials in your space in the following proportions: 70% for the main material, 20% for the secondary material and 10% for the accent material.
The main material is the dominant material that defines the style and character of your space. It is usually a natural or a synthetic material that covers most of the walls, floors and large furniture pieces. The secondary material is the complementary material that adds variety and depth to your space. It is usually a different or a contrasting material that covers smaller furniture pieces, rugs, curtains and accessories. The accent material is the unexpected material that adds spice and charm to your space. It is usually a unique or a surprising material that covers small accessories, pillows, art and accents.
The 70-20-10 rule helps you create a layered and textured look that is not too bland or too busy. You can use any materials that you like, as long as they suit your style and preference.
Benefits of the 70-20-10 Rule
Benefits of the 70-20-10 Rule Brought to Homeowners are Multiple
The 70-20-10 rule has many benefits for your interior design. The rule can help you
- Create a cohesive and pleasing look for your space.
- Simplify your choices and make your space look more professional and polished.
- Add interest and personality to your space without overwhelming it.
- Create contrast and harmony between different materials.
- Achieve any style of interior design, from rustic to modern to eclectic.
How to Apply the 70-20-10 Rule
Applying the 70-20-10 rule is easy and fun. Here are some steps to follow:
- Choose your main material. This is the material that will cover most of your space and set the mood and tone of your style. Think about what kind of look and feel you want to create for your space. Do you want it to be cozy, elegant, minimalist, etc.? Then choose a material that matches your vision. For example, if you want a cozy and rustic look, you can choose wood as your main material. If you want an elegant and glamorous look, you can choose marble as your main material. If you want a minimalist and sleek look, you can choose metal as your main material.
- Choose your secondary material. This is the material that will add contrast and interest to your space. Think about what kind of color, texture and pattern you want to add to your space. Do you want it to be bright, soft, smooth, etc.? Then choose a material that complements your main material. For example, if you chose wood as your main material, you can choose fabric as your secondary material. If you chose marble as your main material, you can choose glass as your secondary material. If you chose metal as your main material, you can choose leather as your secondary material.
- Choose your accent material. This is the material that will add spice and charm to your space. Think about what kind of surprise or wow factor you want to add to your space. Do you want it to be bold, quirky, shiny, etc.? Then choose a material that contrasts with your main and secondary materials. For example, if you chose wood and fabric as your main and secondary materials, you can choose ceramic as your accent material. If you chose marble and glass as your main and secondary materials, you can choose gold as your accent material. If you chose metal and leather as your main and secondary materials, you can choose plastic as your accent material.
- Distribute your materials in your space according to the 70-20-10 rule. Use your main material for most of the walls, floors and large furniture pieces. Use your secondary material for smaller furniture pieces, rugs, curtains and accessories. Use your accent material for small accessories, pillows, art and accents.
- Enjoy your beautiful and functional space!
Easier to Understand about the 70-20-10 rule with Hestya
Hestya also has a state-of-the-art 3D scanning app that lets you preview how your space will look like before you purchase anything. You can use your smartphone camera to capture your room and then see it in 3D with Hestya’s products. You can also adjust your design plan anytime with Hestya’s app.
Hestya is the ultimate way to get your own interior design without any trouble or worry. You can have fun in the process of creating your dream space with Hestya’s help and advice.
Don’t hesitate any longer. Take the style quiz now and begin your interior design adventure with Hestya.